The Australian Government’s policy is that receiving a COVID-19 vaccination is free and voluntary, with an aim to have as many Australians vaccinated as possible, however that doesn’t necessarily mean that workplaces can compel employees to get vaccinated.
With the increasing availability of COVID-19 vaccinations, employers and employees are encouraged to work together to find solutions that suit their individual needs and workplaces. It is important for employers to understand their rights and obligations when it comes to COVID-19 vaccinations and the workplace.
The Fair Work Ombudsman provides a long list of questions and information about rights and obligations in the workplace including:
- Can an employer require an employee to get vaccinated?
- Do employees have to be paid for the time to get vaccinated against COVID-19?
- Can employees take sick leave to get vaccinated against COVID-19?
- Can employees take paid time off if they feel unwell after being vaccinated?
- What happens if an employee refuses to get vaccinated?